Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Obit: Seven Words for George Carlin


He lived. He died. I hardly cried.
As you might guess, I wasn't a big fan of his, which is the case with most of the performers whose stock in trade is "blue" material. I will say that George seemed more intelligent than most. I'd rather remember him for his classic question: "Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?"
But his "seven words" trial is a historical footnote, just like George is now. Even though he lost that battle 30 years ago, at times it seems he won the war [HBO's Deadwood and Comedy Central's South Park come to mind]. I'm apparently not alone. Even before Janet Jackson's infamous wardrobe malfunction during the 2004 Super Bowl, public complaints to the FCC about broadcast indecency were jumping exponentially — from fewer than 14,000 in 2002 to nearly 170,000 in 2003. In the first half of 2006, the last statistics the FCC's beleaguered enforcement bureau has compiled, there were more than 327,000 complaints--and none of them was from me (yet).
Go see Brian Regan instead.

No comments: