Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Zero to Sixty . . .

. . . in a heartbeat, or so it seemed. Although the logical side of me estimates it really took more like 3 billion or so, it only took a single heartbeat to cross into another decade of my life--and it occurred in the wee morning hours of 08-08-08. Actually I think it was significant enough to wake both of us! My BBL murmured “Happy Birthday” and went back to sleep. I, in turn, began contemplating my mortality.

Had to remind myself that I was turning 60 and not 65! Although I have looked older than my age for quite awhile now (my hair having turned white in my early 40’s). Perhaps that is the reason I’ve always seemed to relate better to older people, although I never actually wanted to be one of them! For whatever reason, this birthday certainly felt different than previous “big ones” (40, 50, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59); it’s probably because I just plain feel old(er). The events of the past year have conspired to make me feel more like what I imagined 70 or 75 might be like!

In an effort to recapture my youth (and taking advantage of being in the Chicago area), I invited three of my oldest local contemporaries to a birthday lunch: TL and Wiley Joe were working with the company when I showed up (they’re now retired) and Steepo has the distinction of being number two in sales seniority (after yours truly). My strategy didn’t work – the retirees looked great even though they’re closer to 70 than they are to me (and also have had more than their share of health issues). And #2 still looks like he did in 1998!

Old age – better than the alternative—and definitely not for sissies. Like Steve Martin, guess I'll just have to learn to like it.

No comments: