Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thankfully It Wasn’t Posthumous

A couple of weeks ago, my BBL and I managed to escape the blast furnace we call Summer in Texas by climbing aboard a jet bound for the Pacific Northwest. We arrived to a positively refrigerated Seattle climate and, through no planning on our part, just in time to experience the opening of Seafair and its Torchlight Parade. However, apparently 75,000 other people did plan to be there which created a crowded downtown experience that was very close and way too personal for us. We decided to go camp in our Arctic Club hotel room and watch the parade on TV along with some local Pinot Noir.

The next day we escaped the Seattle crowds by climbing aboard the Victoria Clipper IV bound for (you guessed it) Victoria, BC Canada. The day didn’t start off all that promising – downright cold and overcast – but things started to brighten up as we pulled into our foreign harbor (sorry, harbour). We were immediately surprised to see the amount of seaplane activity in the port. We boarded a pre-arranged tour bus and were whisked off to the incredible Butchart Gardens only about 12 km away. This is the most fantastic reclamation project I’ve ever seen! The place exists because the Butchart family mined limestone/cement and the naturally ugly quarry it left behind was transformed into a thing of unparalleled beauty. The Gardens now take in more revenue than could ever have been imagined when the mining project began.
We were deposited back in Victoria with a few hours to spend before the Clipper departed. Again, without any advance planning, we arrived in the nick of time to witness the beginning of their outdoor Symphony Spash Festival. Lots of people to rub elbows with but it hardly registered on our Seattle “hassle” scale. Our return cruise was faster due to now perfect weather conditions and we were treated to a marvelous sunset off the stern which seemed to underscore our good fortune to have experienced someplace truly different and wonderful. We’d go back in a heartbeat, particularly if we can find someone to pay the freight.

Our next day in Seattle was all touristy. The “hop on -- hop off” bus tour moved us around the city to visit the Space Needle, the city mall area, Pike market, original Starbucks store, stadiums, waterfront, Pioneer Square and the sundry stores in these different areas. Two establishments stand out in our memory: the Chocolate Market (which had only been open a week and who were so happy to see us—or anyone—come in that they gave us several free samples and even took our Canadian coins when we made our purchase) and the KuKuRuZa “gourmet” popcorn shop (I heartily endorse the jalapeno cheddar option).
Leaving Seattle provided another first for us – a trip on Amtrak using business class service. Our destination was Vancouver, WA, a 3 hour trip but destined to be 4+ (due to track work and a dispatcher in Ft. Worth accused of being on a smoke break). Not a problem due to the scenery, first class seating, power outlets for the computer, free drink/food coupons, free movie and the freedom to move around. We were met in Vancouver by a longtime friend and resident who delivered us to our downtown Portland hotel after treating us to dinner at the Blue Hour restaurant where we feasted on the sea bass spaghetti entrée, the first of many delightful dining experiences in Portland.

In truth, Portland was our ultimate destination for this trip and the place where I had to go to “work.” I had been given an assignment to represent my employer at the summer conference of the Association of Independent Printing Paper Merchants, an assignment that has occurred as often as twice a year for the past 6 years. Attending this group’s meetings has always been a highlight for my BBL and me, but I cannot describe the surprise and shock I felt when the Executive Director announced me as the recipient of their “Career Leadership Award” named after their founder, Peyton Shaner. I left my camera with my BBL, stumbled forward to accept the honor, and mumbled a few words of appreciation all of which probably left the majority of the audience wondering about the selection process!

I have never been particularly good at impromptu speaking (and I know plenty of folks who would say “his public speaking in general”). Being caught flat-footed certainly didn’t make it any better. So my inevitable post-mortem evaluation of my acceptance comments leads me to wish I would have been astute enough to address:
- The kind/humorous comments of Joe and Noel, the award co-presenters and long-term customers;
- The selection process may have confused the terms "leadership" and "longevity";
- A plug for my company whose values have allowed actions in the field worthy of this recognition for one of its individuals – and not just once, but twice – and I know how much the recognition also meant to the other recipient;
- That both my VP and new Director of Sales were present in the room and equally surprised (I think) -- and that Jim’s presence represents my employer's new emphasis on the Association's segment of distribution;
- Most of all to recognize my “secret selling weapon” and soul-mate, my BBL, who has not only totally supported me during my career, but has made genuine friendships in her own right among many in the Association; and
- My gratitude they did not wait to perhaps present this award posthumously (as they did with their founder). Thank you!

Pictures of Victoria
Pictures of Seattle
Pictures of Portland

2 comments:

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Congratulations, Mr. Stemmermann!!

ceeelcee said...

Well deserved, my friend! They couldn't have made a better choice.