Sunday, September 12, 2010

Magic Out Of Thin Air (Again)

I’m young enough not to have known this world without AM radio --- and old enough to remember discovering the existence of FM radio. I don’t exactly remember when it happened, but when that wonderful development that amplified the FM experience (FM STEREO radio) I coveted it immediately. I think I bought a different car just to enjoy that one feature.

I am now ancient enough to know some people who have never listened to any station broadcasting on the AM “dial”—and with good reason. The last time I was there was to listen to a sporting event on KRLD (1080), an event that surely ended badly at the time (according to their website they started broadcasting on Halloween Day in 1926 which somehow seems appropriate). I suppose there are also some youngsters I know who aren’t at all familiar with FM radio either (which is to say radio period).

I bring all this up because I recently acquired a Microsoft Zune – a portable everything device similar to the fruity i-Touch – but with the all important distinction of having a FM radio, which is the sole reason I bought it. At my advanced age, I don’t get delighted easily, but the Zune did it. It brought me back to me the wonder of FM and FM Stereo . . . with its HD FM receivership capabilities.

It seems in the recent past, some FM stations have quietly added HD multi-casts to their assigned bandwidth. Who knew? Surprise! HD radio (which does NOT stand for High Definition like you’d think it would) simply performs like it is High Definition radio. A single station can broadcast up to 7 different programs digitally with absolutely clear (no static) reception (although I haven’t found one yet with more than 3). Plus it can tell you the artist, song etc.) currently playing. I was transported back to the magic of going through a tunnel with no loss of the FM radio signal while different sounds were coming out of the left and right speakers.

The cost of this magic? Zero. NaDa. Free. Just like before. Take that satellite radio!

Beyond the benefits of crystal clear reception, the other benefit seems to be (with stations broadcasting on their 2nd or 3rd HD program) an almost complete lack of advertising. It’s almost like listening to a CD.

Why has this been under the (my) radar? I suggest perhaps poor marketing, at least to my age group. I offer the idea that they adopt a theme along the lines: “Let us create your ‘playlist’ for you.” Might even catch on with the younger crowd.

No comments: