Saturday, June 14, 2014

It’s A Grand Day To Be A Father

My 36th Father’s Day is approaching and it is unlike any that have come before.


What is the same, albeit perhaps a tad stronger, is the pride I have in the quality individuals my children have always been and how they have matured into intelligent responsible adults.  I do not take credit for this.  I have never thought of myself as a great Dad, just someone who was fortunate to be married to one of the world’s greatest Moms.  My children certainly have benefited from that relationship (I will take some credit for having facilitated this most important contribution to their lives).

What’s different this year is that my status has been elevated to the Grandfather level due to the generosity of our daughter and her husband.  They bestowed upon my BBL and me an absolutely gorgeous 21 inch, 18,569 carat Ruby (coincidentally also the traditional precious gem for one’s 40th anniversary -- how thoughtful)!

As a bonus, I recently learned my Grandfather-ness will be raised to the power of 2 before the next Father’s Day due to the munificent efforts of my son and his wife to provide my granddaughter her first 1st cousin (there is no 2nd place in this race)!


Now I find myself wondering if I can improve on my “personal best” record as a Grandfather.  I’m not too worried . . . I’m married to one of the world’s best Grandmothers.

"Here's to grandchildren, gifts from on high . . . they are God's way of increasing our economy's money supply!"   Prost!

1 comment:

ljstemmy said...

Such a humble guy you are. You have been a great dad to our kids and this BBL is very thankful for you!