Sunday, June 29, 2014

Need A Doctor: Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

It finally happened.  My General Practitioner announced he was terminating our almost twenty year relationship due to his advancing age and creeping technophobia.  If he stayed in practice he was going to have to replace his fax machine AND have to buy his first computer.  I’m convinced his decision to retire was due to all the new “paperless” reporting requirements of Obamacare, Medicare, prescription and insurance billing . . . and had nothing to do with him being my age or the fact my file was fully 9” thick and he couldn't lift it anymore.

For old time’s sake, my Dr. Dough was kind enough to provide a list of potential new physicians who just might accept new patients.  Several on the list were affiliated with Doctors' Dynasty Amalgamated.  Since my BBL played this game of finding a new GP a couple of years ago and ended up at this place with a Dr. Kwo (a young female equivalent of Doogie Howser).  No chance of her retiring in our lifetime! I thought I would take this shortcut, even though Kwo wasn’t on the list.

On Monday I called for an appointment and explained to the receptionist my extremely close relationship to one of Kwo’s patients.  She checked and said the good doctor would accept a new patient, and yes, she would accept Medicare.  “Oh, and she has an opening this Thursday morning approximately 72 hours from now!”  All good!

I showed up at the appointed hour (actually an hour before the appointed hour because a new patient must sign their name on at least six different sheets of paper(!)).  Then:  “You must be mistaken, sir. You are supposed to see Dr. Bo.”  I’m mistaken?  Neither I nor my BBL had ever heard of Dr. Bo.  But I can be flexible (once in a while) and decide to see this Dr. Bo even before the receptionist tells me how nice and caring she is.

While sitting in waiting room #4 (yes 4!), I look through my papers and review again the list of doctors my Doctor had sent me.  Among the list of those associated with Doctors' Dynasty Amalgamated was Dr. Vo (a now obvious typographical error).

When I’m face to face with her, I explain to Dr. Bo how Fate has meant us to be together.

And that my visit has absolutely nothing to do with my toe.

No comments: