Sunday, May 18, 2008

Why am I doing this?

It's been an interesting year so far: a craniotomy in early January to address the larger of two chronic sub-dural hematomas in my head that were the result of getting hit in a crosswalk by a fine upstanding citizen of Little Chute, WI (who was driving without insurance and under the influence of something other than alcohol). Then a staph brain infection, a byproduct of the craniotomy which resulted in a second one. After many weeks of antibiotic treatment, the old noggin got a cranioplasty to replace the missing bone flap with space age materials designed to seal off my skull's "pop-top." I'm very thankful that my surgeon remained focused during all of these procedures and didn't sucumb to any latent desire to be a GYN and perform a "D and C'" up there.

During this journey, the family and I started communicating with others interested in our situation via a website called CaringBridge (highly recommended). Over time, our posts there transformed from the mere facts ["he's in the operating room"; "he had his 1st solid food";
"the nurse was surprised by the size of his BM"] to more commentary on the first hand experience of being the subject of hospital procedures, workman's comp, side effects of medicine, etc.

The commentary portion seemed to resonate with some of the readership who have carelessly (recklessly?) encouraged me to continue blogging my thoughts and experiences. The idea has been bouncing around in the old noggin (there appears to be more room up there these days for new thoughts), and then we had a close encounter last week with an experienced blogger (aka a friend and customer) who was brave enough to accept an invitation to be our house guest during his business trip to the Metroplex. We discovered he maintains two blogs (he's such an over- achiever): The Dry Spot and Born Again Cubs Fan -- the latter one really endeared him to my bodacious beautiful lady (that's "Tex-Mex" for wife)!

So "ceeelcee" unintentionally (and unknowingly) pushed me off dead center. We'll see how this experiment plays out. Proceed at your own risk.

1 comment:

ceeelcee said...

Uh oh,

I've created a monster.

CeeElCee